Summary of UX Commission Activities 2019-2023
The Commission on the User Experience prepared a short video of 2019-2023 activities for the 2023 ICA General Assembly. We have had an extremely productive four years! We welcome you to review the video to learn more about 2023 activities:
The UX Commission has participated in a range of education and research events over the past four years, many of which are jointly organized with sibling commissions. If you are interested in co-organizing an event during the 2023-2027 terms, please contact Robert Roth (reroth at wisc dot edu).
Paper Sessions at ICC 2023 Cape Town
The UX Commission hosted 23 papers across six sessions at the 2023 International Cartography Conference. For the full program, please see: https://icc2023.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/ICC-Conference-August-2023-Programme.pdf
Monday | 14 August
- Robert E. Roth, Amy L. Griffin and Haosheng Huang. User Experience Design for Mobile Cartography: Update on a ICA Joint Commission Research Agenda. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 214, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-214-2023, 2023.
- Amy L. Griffin, Tumasch Reichenbacher, Hua Liao, Wangshu Wang and Yinghui Cao. Cognitive issues of mobile map design and use: A collaborative research agenda. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 79, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-79-2023, 2023.
- Robert E. Roth, Arzu Çöltekin, Luciene Delazari, Bradley Denney, André Mendonça, Jie Shen, Zdeněk Stachoň and Mingguang Wu. Designing maps & visualizations for mobile devices: A collaborative research agenda. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 213, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-213-2023, 2023.
- Haosheng Huang, Yi Cheng, Weihua Dong, Georg Gartner, Jukka Krisp and Liqiu Meng. Data Modeling and Processing in Location Based Services: A Collaborative Research Agenda. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 95, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-95-2023, 2023.
Tuesday | 15 August
- Mark Wigley, Karsten Pippig, Olaf Forte, Sebastian Denier and Roman Geisthövel. A New Swiss Map Generation for Mobile Use. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 274, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-274-2023, 2023.
- Thalita Mascarenhas and Luciene Delazari. Mobile first proposition of UFPR CampusMap. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 158, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-158-2023, 2023.
- Jonas Oesch, Joana Kelén, Tumasch Reichenbacher and Arzu Çöltekin. User experience with smartphone based global-scale thematic maps in data journalism. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 191, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-191-2023, 2023.
Wednesday | 16 August
- Dajana Snopková and Lukáš Herman. Spatial aspects of evacuation: A closer look at user interaction during route choice. [no online abstract]
- Kaori Ito, Hikari Tsuji, Sho Hamamatsu and Seiya Takayanagi. Investigation of Sequential Order of Sketch Map Drawing After Walking in the City. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 100, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-100-2023, 2023.
- Luana D. S. Peres, Claudia R. Sluter and Luiz F. Velho. User-centered design of a geoinformation system for identifying the visitor’s impact in environmentally fragile areas in natural parks. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 196, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-196-2023, 2023
Thursday | 17 August
- Yoshiki Wakabayashi. Changes in map use after digitalisation: results from online surveys at three time periods. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 266, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-266-2023, 2023.
- Luciene Delazari, Marcio Schmidt, André Mendonça, Tiago Lima Rodrigues and Leonardo Ercolin Filho. Smart Campus: how we get there? A study case at UFPR. [no online abstract]
- Catherine Dominguès, Laurence Jolivet and Éric Mermet. What could perceptual and sensitive mapping be used for? [no online abstract]
- Homeyra Mahmoudi, Silvana Camboim and Maria Brovelli. An interactive voice recognition web application for geospatial data visualisation. [no online abstract]
- André Mendonça, Luciene Delazari and Marcio Schmidt. Issues of a Map interface with SVI imagery in a Smart Campus Context. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 163, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-163-2023, 2023.
- Mona Bartling, Tumasch Reichenbacher and Sara I. Fabrikant. Leveraging map use context for advancing cartography in the 21st century. Proc. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 5, 2, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-proc-5-2-2023, 2023.
- Izabela Gołębiowska, Tomasz Opach, Arzu Çöltekin, Jolanta Korycka-Skorupa and Jan Ketil Rød. Split legend or split attention? Evaluating layout designs of geodashboard interfaces. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 73, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-73-2023, 2023.
- Andreas Divanis, Anudari Batsaikhan and Alissa Lüpke. A co-designed portal for intuitive navigation. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 54, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-54-2023, 2023.
- Gianna Daniela Müller, Daria Hollenstein, Arzu Çöltekin and Susanne Bleisch. Square-glyphs: Assessing the readability of multidimensional spatial data visualized as square-glyphs. [no online abstract]
Friday | 18 August
- Carolyn Fish, Paulo Raposo, Elaine Guidero and Robert Roth. Research Approaches in Cartography: A Preliminary Review. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 63, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-63-2023, 2023.
- Ayako Kagawa. Deconstructing cartographic communication paradigms in the United Nations in the era of Data for action. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 117, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-117-2023, 2023.
- Michael Peterson, Georg Gartner and David Fairbairn. Affordances and Models of Cartographic Communication. Abstr. Int. Cartogr. Assoc., 6, 198, https://doi.org/10.5194/ica-abs-6-198-2023, 2023.
- Robert Roth. User Experience Business Meeting. [slides]
UX Commission Renewal for 2023-2027
The Commission on the User Experience was renewed at the 2023 ICA General Assembly for an additional four year term! You can review our Terms of Reference for 2023-2027 at: https://use.icaci.org/aims-organisation/terms-of-reference/
The UX Commission leadership will continue with Robert Roth (Chair), Luciene Stamato Delazari (Vice Chair), and Zdeněk Stachoň (Vice Chair). We wish to thank Katarzyna Słomska-Przech for her service during 2019-2023; Katarzyna will be continuing her service to the ICA as a Co-Chair of the Next Generation Cartographers Working Group. We also wish to welcome Merve Keskin, who will be joining the UX Commission as Vice Chair for 2023-2027.
The UX Commission shares information about past activities and upcoming events on a regular cycle. If you want to be on this list, please contact Robert Roth at reroth at wisc dot edu.